The project "Trattlers Hof-Chalets" began in 2012 when Jakob Forstnig jun. was in England searching for new ideas. A new concept was presented to him there, which included a "buy-to-let" approach to chalet villages.
The perfect plot of land was already family owned and the family started the planning phase and to applying for permissions.
With the well-known architecture couple Herwig and Andrea Ronacher, they found the ideal project partners and started the development.
The ground-breaking ceremony was on the 19. May 2017. On the same day the first construction works for the 14 Hof-Chalets started. The opening of Trattlers Hof-Chalets will be on 20. December 2017. This will be a new era for "Trattlers Hofpeople" and everybody is creating new stories, edding to the existing history of the Hotel Trattlerhof and the chalet restaurant Einkehr.
The "Trattlers" history:
The estate was first mentioned in writing in 1520. 374 years ago, on 14 July 1642, the then owners of the Trattlerhof were granted the right to serve food and drink by the ruling Jesuits.
This comprised not just a restaurant licence in today’s sense, but also the “privilege” of plying the trade of a weaver and cobbler, the retail trade, brewing stone beer and baking bread.
The Forstnig family has now been inseparably connected to the Trattlerhof for 133 years. The miner Jakob II. Forstnig, who was already living at the Trattlerhof, acquired the farm in 1884 and ran the restaurant as well as a quarry and a lime kiln. Over the generations the business has been continually extended and modernised. Today this 4-star hotel that is rich in tradition is in the committed hands of the fifth generation, Jakob Forstnig, who manages the family business with a strong awareness of tradition and expertise in tourism.
Incentives by past generations of the Forstnig family at the Trattlerhof
The Trattlerhof as you know it today has been lovingly extended by five generations of the Forstnig family, making every endeavour to retain its traditional character. The present-day structure of the hotel was created in two major expansion stages, and it has been enhanced by every generation with many innovations in terms of the service and facilities we offer.
1884 – Jakob II. and Anna Forstnig – ran the restaurant, which served wine and cider, and the quarry with its lime kiln
1921 – Johann and Katharina Hinteregger (née Forstnig) – first overnight accommodation for passing carters and merchants in addition to the restaurant business
1937 – Jakob III. and Elisabeth Forstnig – expansion of the restaurant into a hotel business with 60 beds and a large dining room, construction of a new stable, additional opening of a gravel pit and haulage business
1975 – Jakob IV. and Elisabeth Forstnig – expansion of the hotel to 85 beds, wellness centre and new entrance area, construction of a small hydropower plant and the chalet restaurant “Einkehr”
Since 2010 – Jakob V. Forstnig – construction of a new riding stable, renovation of 28 rooms, new buffet landscape, wine depot, stone pine bio sauna … And lots more being planned!
The story of Paul Zopf
The year 1737 brought some excitement for the landlord of the Trattlerhof. At that time the entire region came under the administrative district of the monastery of Millstatt, which was run by the Jesuits. The farmers in the region protested about the high tax of ten percent, and made their way to Vienna to speak to the Emperor.
There they were received by Paul Zopf, the Emperor’s incompetent lawyer, who handed the delegation from Carinthia a letter allegedly from the Emperor, in which the Emperor granted the farmers the right to drive out the unpopular Jesuits. The landlord of the Trattlerhof was there too, but the whole thing seemed strange to him, so when the farmers stormed the monastery he did not join in.
Paul Zopf fled with 3,000 guilders from the Emperor’s exchequer. During his flight he passed the host of the Trattlerhof and drank a glass of wine while he was still in the saddle. The Trattlerhof landlord recognised the fraudster and sent a messenger to inform the district judge. Paul Zopf was arrested, and was later beheaded in Millstatt.
An old painting in our “Zopfstube” parlour (named after the unmasked fraudster) testifies to this story. There is also an image of Paul Zopf carved in stone pine wood in front of the door of the hotel.